Isolina Fernandez-KirchnerMortgage Banker NMLS#: 49153
Contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 800-908-0005 Ext 7173
Mortgage lenders use a different set of rules when you buy a condo. It is not just your creditworthiness the lender has to consider when you apply for a mortgage to purchase a Condo. They must also confirm that the condominium development has strong financials and management structure.
Not all condominium developments meet the strict Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac guidelines that allow them to be classified as "warrantable". Some Condominium developments do not meet the minimum standards and are designated non-warrantable.
Non-warrantable condos are more challenging to finance. When buying a condo it is important to ask the real estate agent, developer or mortgage lender about the building's warrantability before submitting an offer.
A condo is considered warrantable if:
- No single entity owns more than 10% of the units in the project, including the developer
- At least 51% of the units are owner-occupied
- Fewer than 15% of the units are in arrears with their association dues
- The homeowners association (HOA) is not named in any lawsuits
- Commercial space accounts for 25 percent or less of the total building square footage
- A condo unit is considered non-warrantable if:
- The project has yet to be completed
- Its developer has not turned over control of the HOA to the owners
- The community allows short-term rentals
- A single person or entity owns more than 10% of all units
- It's in a project where the majority of units are rented to non-owners
It is also important to find out if the development is involved in litigation. Regardless of the status as plaintiff or the defendant in a legal suit, the condo usually considered "non-warrantable."
The Financial Risks of Buying a Non-Warrantable Condo
Before paying a higher rate and larger down payment, consider these hurdles and potential red flags. Read the entire article by clicking here.
With flexible options, program expertise and superior service, we’ll work with you from application to close to ensure a smooth loan process and create a loan program that meets your financial needs and goals.